Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Goodbye, Moldova


Dear Moldova,

I don’t even know where to begin. I sit here in the PC lounge only a couple hours away from leaving what has been the past two years of my life, and I still can’t think of how to say goodbye.

Goodbyes have been going on for over a month now. Every time I leave someone, I think about how this might be the last time I see them, making this month very difficult. And how do you say goodbye to two years of your life?

When I came here, I thought I was an adult. I thought I had everything together. I had my master’s degree and I knew my professional goals. I thought I had an understanding my beliefs and ways of life. But Moldova, you challenge every part of me. You challenged my beliefs, my goals, my practices, my thoughts, and the list goes on.

Never before in my life have I had such an impactful and life-changing event. These past two years have been life-forming, and as an adult, I never thought I would have such an impactful time again. But my daily life and thoughts will forever be different because of you.

But my personal growth isn’t the only thing I walk away with. I walk away with some of the most meaningful and powerful relationships in my life. The bonds I formed with my teachers, host mom, community members, and fellow volunteers are indescribable. And many of these people have no idea how much they changed me.

And where do I begin with the memories? I look back at some of my most difficult moments, and it’s hard to believe how much I made through. But I’ve had some of the most incredible successes that still make me smile at just the thought of them.

So Moldova, thank you. I know I came here with the idea that I was going to change the world, but the truth is that you changed me. And I will forever remember the impression and be changed by the small Eastern Europe country that most Americans don’t even know exists. And as I leave to start the next chapter in my life, know that you will always have a place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment