Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Moldova Fashion

Moldovan fashion is much different than America. The first thing to know is that it is important to look nice. Looking nice is a sign of respect for those you are meeting with. It means you took the time to look your best for them. This does not mean you must be dressed in suits or formal dresses everywhere you go; it just means that you have taken the time to look nice.

I have also noticed that outfits that are put together don’t necessarily match. The important thing is that you’re wearing a nice top and bottom, not that you’re wearing an orange plaid shirt with a lime green polka dot vest and a pair of dark green plaid pants.

Also, most people tend to dress for the season as opposed to the daily weather. So even if it’s 60 degrees outside during summer, many people will still wear short sleeves and shorts or skirts. And as soon as the calendar marks the first day of autumn, the winter coats and hats are pulled out, even if the temperature might be in the upper 80s. I often get weird looks because I dress for the daily weather. My host mother is very concerned for me if I’m not wearing my coat and gloves when I leave the house in the fall.

Another noticeable fashion difference here is the hair. Women of all ages dye their hair, and the most common color they dye their hair is red. However it is not the red we normally think of as a natural red for hair. A lot women dye their hair a red that is a little darker than candy apple red. I’ve always been a fan of natural-looking red hair, but this red stuck me as odd when I first got here. There is one color that I really like; it’s a dark red that is so dark it appears black and the red shows in the shine of the hair. With all the red hair around, it kind makes me want to dye my hair red again. Maybe I can pull off the bright red hair look.

No comments:

Post a Comment