Thursday, May 9, 2013

Victory Day


Today, I had the day off from school, so I went to Chișinău to celebrate Victory Day. There was a concert and mini parades. And because of the history with Soviet Union, there were some small political protests as well. Some Moldovans see this celebration as too much patriotism towards Russia, while others counter and think of it as the end of WWII. Either way, the protests were peaceful that I was safe to be in Chișinău. And since there were celebrations all over Chișinău, it was no trouble having a good time.


I used this as a chance to see one of the WWII monuments. There was dancing and music. And there was an eternal flame in the middle of the monument where children kept throwing coins in.


I will say this for Moldovans: they take every holiday seriously. How many holidays in America do we just celebrate by not going to work without reflecting on the significance of that day? I’m going to miss actually celebrating every holiday once I leave.



No comments:

Post a Comment